Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Roll Your Own

This old dude was hand rolling his own cigars at 8am this morning. He grew the leaves himself, he said. He smokes four of these a day, and rolls himself a bunch every morning, if we understood each other. He asked me where I was from but after frowning his face up and looking off in the distance for a bit, he shook his head and said, 不知道 ("No idea, mate."). Fair enough. Australia is just a minor player in the international scene after all.


I had to trundle off to work and had forgotten all about the morning's encounter until the smell of the fragrant tobacco smoke outside the subway entrance on my way home reminded me. Mr sweeper had a  butt in his mouth as he pottered around downstairs. Ordinarily, I'd be fairly incensed at someone smoking inside, but these home-made cigars actually smelled quite fragrant. What crap the cigarette companies must add to their product?! Go healthy; roll your own.